The Clearing was a vision of the future in the grounds of Compton Verney Art Gallery & Park, in Warwickshire, UK. Created by Alex Hartley and Tom James (us), the project set out to build a physical place where people could learn how to live in the collapsing world that’s coming our way. During 2017, The Clearing became part school, part shelter and part folly.
In the middle of The Clearing we built a geodesic dome. It's been standing in the landscape of Compton Verney for three years. Now, at the end of 2019, it needs to come down - and we want to pass it on to someone else who can make use of it.
Anyone can apply to take the dome, for FREE, as long as you have the following:
- A convincing public/social/community use for it (strictly no glamping – this is serious)
- The means to come and get it - that is, a Luton or larger van; the time to take it down; and at least 5 people to help take it down;
- The time to be on site at Compton Verney for a week in late January/early February 2020, to help take it down (and learn how to put it back up again);
- Legal ownership of the land for it to go on;
- Public Liability Insurance to £5 million.
We need to stress:
- We will be there to help you take it apart, and work out how it goes together. However, we can’t be there when it goes back up – you’ll have to do this on your own;
- Compton Verney and the artists will be in charge of dismantling and handling. Volunteers will be on hand to help with dismantling;
- You will need to sign disclaimers/abide by risk assessments at all time;
- As soon as the parts are loaded onto your truck, they become your responsibility;
- You will be entirely and legally responsible for transporting and rebuilding the structure;
- We cannot take any responsibility for the dome once it is dismantled.
The dome is 7.5m wide and 4m high, and made from reclaimed steel, wood and plywood. It will be taken down in the last week of January or early February 2020. Exact dates are TBC.
If you want the dome, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 30 November 2019, telling us: who you are, how you meet the above criteria, and what you’re going to do with it.
Thank you and good luck,
All at THE CLEARING
* Did it work? Was it successful? What did people learn? How did they feel about it? You can read more about what happened at The Clearing on our journal, here.